Thursday, July 28, 2005

"When Will You Make My Phone Ring"

Regrets. No matter how much time passes, how much water curls beneath your own private bridge there is always something, or more pertinently, someone that you can't quite close the book on. If you've walked away, perhaps you feel fewer of those regrets, but when you find yourself catching your breath from the sharpness of that memory, then you realise you aren't clear, you haven't broken free. And those sharp jabs, those laughing careless reminders, they draw you backwards, till you're walking over old ground, peering beneath stones and leaves to see if you missed something, a clue, a hint perhaps that might have changed everything. Ricky Ross has the voice for this job, the raw, slightly damaged rasp of experience, able to express the bewilderment of being caught out: "I want you in everything/In everything/In anything I do/When will you make my phone ring/And tell me I can't give you anything/Anything at all now."

2 comments:

Deadly Female said...

Ah stop it now! All these songs! It's just too much! I'm trying to go to bed but I keep flicking through and finding yet another that I can't ignore...

Anonymous said...

Go find the voices-only version on the deluxe edition of Raintown and give it a listen - extra chill bumps will be your reward!