Sunday, January 08, 2006

"Spooky"

Ain't love grand? You're in a permanent state of nerves, you're paranoid-obsessive, your moods shift wildly, in short, you're unstable. And that's what this song is all about: "You always keep me guessing/And I never seem to know what you are thinking/And if some fella looks at you/It's for sure your little eye will be a-winking/I get confused cause I don't know where I stand/But then you smile, and hold my hand/Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you."
What I enjoy most is the laid-back groove that accompanies the plaintive, disturbed yet uncomplaining lyric. It's as if the guy doesn't mind his torment, and to prove it, he lays down a jazzy, easy-listening, West Coast tune, the sort of song you might see folks dancing to, but in a very relaxed, swaying sort of way, rather than a dedicated, concentrated frugging.
To be sure, this song is California writ large: it's gently waving palm trees, the scent of sensimilla in the air and a rum punch in your hand. Even the instrumental solo wears dark glasses and too laid-back to hog the spotlight - this is a mood song, pure and simple. I'm not sure it's a love song, though...I'm not sure there's room for that in a song like this.

No comments: