Tuesday, May 10, 2005

"The Distance from Her to There"

Can you sing country without being "country"?. I'm not sure Lambchop are really country, anyway. Their record company website describes them as "Nashville's most fucked-up country band". I have a hard time explaining why I love this song. Maybe it's the gentle, wafted intro, borne ashore on waves of a brushed drum, or it might be Kurt Wagner's warm, deep half-spoken lyric: "so shy tonight I'm told you were/I'm in the thick of it/I've been a dick with it you're just not used to it", before he breaks into a fragile falsetto chorus. It might be the various noises and whistles that murmur gently in the background, filling the spaces in what is a fairly laid-back, sparse tune. Or it may just be the attitude of the song, which is "I'm me and you're you, so maybe we will get it together or maybe we won't". Oh, and thanks CJ for reminding me about this!

3 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

more a case of each other pushing the other to find and explore some great music i think.another fine blog.

Alessandro Vitelli said...

No, the "her" is deliberate. Trust me, it's a fantastic pun!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

not wishing to gang up on the gorgeous ochemma but londinium is 100% right. "Her to there" is correct and what a fantastic song to.