Sunday, April 10, 2005

"English Rose"

Not many love songs have the merit of being as simple and straightforward, yet as plangent and ethereal as this one. Anyone who remembers The Jam and their angry indictments of modern day injustice and unpleasantness was probably as surprised as I was to hear this. Like Nick Lowe's "Tonight", this is as simple as ABC, yet it's packed with all the pent-up, raw, pure, idealistic emotions that we've all felt, whether 18 or 80. Paul Weller had the wit to write a song that takes us out into the depths of the universe, and yet brings us right back home in the next line which, to me, is what love feels like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know the song at all, but the last line of your review just made me fly... I SO wish I had written it.....

Russell CJ Duffy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Russell CJ Duffy said...

You are on fire mate! Great write up for a great song.