Thursday, April 21, 2005

"Every Day is a Winding Road"

This is wonderful. The congas stutter into gear, a bass comes rumbling up from somewhere near the center of the earth and is joined by what I can only describe as a guitar that sounds like it's plugged into a racing engine, and then the whole thing is off and running. A wonderful, hip-shaking backbeat and a kooky, marginalised lyric that opens out into a chorus as wide as sunset in Texas. Off-beat observations, and Sheryl Crow's voice sounds like it's always reaching for something more... "I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man/He says he's been down this road more than twice/He was high on intellectualism/I've never been there but the brochure looks nice."

1 comment:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

i love this song and the album it comes from. after what for me was a pretty piss poor music wise eighties (especially when compared to the preceding decades) the nineties hit back and with style. this is one of the atrists that I loved from that period and also Ms Crow gives me the raging horn!